Thursday, November 29, 2007

Professional Development

A colleague recently asked me about going back to school, so I recently revisited a letter that I wrote, which appeared in PRSA's "Tactics" newspaper last year about education in public relations. I have posted it below:

Undergraduate PR Study Not a Necessity

PRSA’S TACTICS, Sep 2006

Having gone back to school after working for 10 years, I read the July Ask the Professor column, "Majoring in public relations: The pros and the cons," (Page 6) with great interest.

I am not convinced the study of public relations at the undergraduate level, even in our competitive profession, is a necessity to get a good start. I do believe that the study of public relations at the graduate level is a way to fully round oneself out as a professional and can lead to a deeper understanding of the critical role that public relations plays.

As an undergraduate at Syracuse University, I studied history, a major which had a major influence on my ability to write analytically and synthesize facts from multiple sources. In 2003, I decided to attend Columbia University's part time master's degree program in Strategic Communications. This two-year program, designed for working professionals, included courses in public relations, marketing and advertising, all taught by top-flight instructors. Students were also provided access to certain classes offered in Columbia's Business School. Columbia not only introduced me to the best and brightest of young talent, but also to top New York professionals and agencies I may have never been exposed to otherwise.

Columbia's program broadened my knowledge of public relations from both an academic and real-world standpoint.

When choosing a program, it's important to understand where the school draws its talent. At Columbia, the admissions committee did an excellent job of balancing the student body, from individuals directing media relations at major financial institutions to those working for nonprofits. These varied perspectives ensured that we learned a great deal from each other during group assignments and classroom discussion.

Education in public relations and communications at the graduate level can make a significant impact on our profession as a whole. The likelihood that a seat at the decision-making table will remain open at top organizations for PR professionals would be enhanced through even more academic programming for our profession.

Tom Nardacci
Principal
Gramercy Communications, LLC
www.GramercyCommunications.com
Albany, N.Y.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home