Thursday, March 01, 2007

Quantifying Blogging

As part of my internal marketing efforts for Gramercy Communications, I review internet traffic reports that I utilize for the blog and the static website on a monthly basis.

By adding this simple blog, I doubled Gramercy Communications' internet traffic. I also singlehandedly maximized my search engine optimization (SEO) for Gramercy Communications and Tom Nardacci or Thomas Nardacci.

Most of my traffic for both the website and the blog is based in New York State, and is referred primarily through Google searches. Search terms such as Albany, NY, public relations, Tech Valley, or local client names, result in increased local traffic. There is also usually a 3 day spike in traffic after I send out a Sunday night e-mail blast to friends and colleagues and ask them to pass something along.

National topics, such as when I posted about autistic high school basketball player Jason McElwain from Rochester and his 3-point performance last year (the best news clip I have ever seen), result in national traffic. Posts on specific topics, like podcasts, entreprenuership, 5 things businesses should know, Virginia Senator George Allen using the slur 'macaca,' etc., result in topic specific traffic from search engines.

I am finding out firsthand just how important it is to be strategic about what you put on your blog. Just today, someone from Rome, Italy Googled "Nardacci" and linked to the Gramercy Communications blog -- it could have been a cousin and this blog could have been their first impression of their American relatives.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home